Is Driving to The Alps the answer this winter?

We think it just might be…

Avoid airport chaos this winter and give driving to the Alps a go!

Driving to The Alps for Winter 2021/22

With the UK gradually opening up to international travel, hopes are pinned on positive news being released on 19th July. Signs are that the UK Government will announce the removal of quarantine for double vaccinated people arriving from amber list countries.

And with Germany announcing this morning that arrivals from the UK no longer need to self-isolate on arrival, it is just a matter of time before other European countries follow suit. Good news!

But what will be the impact on airports with the rush of bookings from holidaymakers desperate to get away? Current reports are that the hold-ups aren’t too bad but will this change and will chaos ensue? Initially, it is likely to. However we are confident that travel will once again be as simple as ever once the ski season arrives in December.

So will you give driving to The Alps a try?

It is easier than you think…

The post-Brexit requirement for UK drivers to obtain a ‘green card’ from their insurance company has been removed. It has been done to diffuse tension over the Northern Ireland border and is being rolled out across the EU.

This is welcome news for the many skiers and snowboarders that usually drive to The Alps. If you’re keen, read on and we’ll give you some great insight into what you’ll need to consider.

Post-Brexit Driving Requirements

Current driving requirements:

  • Full British or NI driving licence – check if yours is still valid and renew online if it’s expired or about to expire.
  • Log Book (V5C) & insurance certificate (double check what you’re covered for).
  • If you’re taking a vehicle abroad that you’ve hired or leased in the UK, you’ll need a VE103 certificate.
  • You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland & Norway. You will need one though if you have a paper driving licence or if yours has been issued in Gibralter, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man. These are available from the Post Office.
  • Familiarise yourself with the rules, local speed limits and drink driving laws.
  • Research emission sticker requirements for some European cities.

Equipment Needed:

  • GB Sticker – white oval containing the letters GB. A GB number plate is preferred but not essential.
  • Reflective jacket, a warning triangle and headlight converter stickers.
  • New tyres, preferably winter/snow tyres.
  • Snow-clearing equipment and snow-chains (right size for your car). Practice putting them on.
  • A good strong pair of gloves!

So where should you go?

In all honesty, driving to The Alps is pretty easy. You should allow for up to 2 tanks of fuel and around €95 for tolls each way. A return ferry crossing starts at about £85. Eurotunnel is considerably more expensive but significantly quicker. Remember that you may also need to budget for in-resort parking which tends to be about €85 per week.

Resorts in the Haute-Savoie and Savoie are the most popular for drivers, so you may want to consider Avoriaz, Morzine, Flaine, Meribel, Courchevel and La Plagne in France. Verbier in Switzerland is also a great option.

All that said, its much of a muchness and whilst Austria, Italy & Switzerland may feel too far, they really are incredibly straight-forward and only marginally longer.

So there you have it, our guide (& recommendation) for Driving to The Alps this winter!